SDG 7: AFFORDABLE AND CLEAN ENERGY
ENSURE ACCESS TO AFFORDABLE, RELIABLE, SUSTAINABLE AND MODERN ENERGY FOR ALL
Engagement of Danone: Commitment
Implementing sustainable development requires ensuring access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all. The proportion of renewable energy in the global energy mix and the global energy efficiency must both increase in order to meet with the SDG targets.
SDG 7 TARGETS TO WHICH DANONE CONTRIBUTES
Source: United Nations
- Target 7.2: By 2030, increase substantially the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix.
- Target 7.3: By 2030, double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency.
RELATED BUSINESS THEMES RELEVANT FOR DANONE
Source: SDG Compass
- Renewable energy
- Energy efficiency
- Infrastructure investments
- Environmental investments
DANONE ENGAGEMENT ON SDG 7
Danone is engaged on SDG 7 as a commitment
Danone is committed to reducing energy consumption, using and promoting sustainable or renewable energy as well as supporting rural energy projects.
Reducing energy consumption and transitioning to renewable energies in our operations
Danone has committed to reduce its total energy intensity by 60% by 2020 (2000 baseline year).
- In December 2017, Danone joined the RE100 initiative and made a commitment to transition to 100% renewable electricity by 2030, with an intermediary step of 50% by 2020. RE100 is a global and collaborative initiative that includes more than 100 influential companies committed to 100% renewable electricity. In 2019, 50 production sites purchased electricity from 100% renewable sources (wind, hydro, etc.) representing a total 42.4% of Danone’s purchases in 2019.
- In September 2017, Danone launched its new evian bottling site in France, the largest food production site to achieve carbon neutrality and completely powered by renewable energy.
Using renewable energies and natural refrigerants in our supply chain
- Danone has committed to have 100% of newly purchased refrigeration installations within its production sites, supply chain and point of sales HFC- free, immediately where it is legally allowed and available and before 2025 in regions with deployment constraints.
Promoting clean energy in agriculture
To promote the use of sustainable agriculture practices in Europe, Danone supports farmers on manure management issues with projects to valorize it in energy through methanization. This is for instance the Danone Ecosystem projects "Wings" in Belgium and "Terragr'Eau" in Evian, in France.
Supporting access to clean and affordable energy in rural communities
The Livelihoods Carbon Fund is working to decrease wood consumption in emerging countries by more than 50% through the fuel-efficient cookstoves distribution. Traditional cookstoves consume a lot of wood and produce toxic smoke, which particularly affects women and children, and causes approximately 4.3 million deaths worldwide each year. Therefore the fuel-efficient cookstoves are preserving forests and mitigating climate change while protecting people's health. The objective to reach 120,000 equipped households was reached in 2017.
EXAMPLES OF DANONE'S INITIATIVES
DANONE 2019 KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
of energy intensity reduction in production sites (2000 baseline year).
of renewable electricity used in Danone production sites.
of total renewable energy used in Danone production sites.
of industrial fleet new cooling installation uses climate friendly refrigerants worldwid.
of commercial fleet new cooling installation uses climate friendly refrigerants worldwide.
DANONE PARTNERSHIPS (SDG 17)
- In December 2017, Danone joined the RE100 initiative, a global and collaborative initiative that includes more than 100 influential companies committed to 100% renewable electricity. RE100 is an initiative of the Climate Group in partnership with Carbon Disclosure Project (learn more).
- The Livelihoods Carbon Fund (LCF) was launched in 2011 by 10 investors: Danone, Schneider Electric, Crédit Agricole S.A, Michelin, Hermès, SAP, Groupe Caisse des Dépôts, La Poste, Firmenich, Voyageurs du Monde. LCF leverages the carbon economy to finance ecosystem restoration, agroforestry and rural energy projects to improve food security for rural communities and increase farmers’ revenues (learn more).
- SDG 13: Climate Action
RELATED DANONE 2030 GOALS